The life of Archbishop
Ieronim (Chernov) of Detroit.
Vladika leronim, in the world loann Chernov, was born to the family of a clergyman in the Vladimir District in 1878. He attended the local church school, and from 1895 to 1899, the Seminary in Vladimir. From 1899 to 1902, he taught religion in his native district. In 1902, he was ordained to the priesthood and served in various parishes.
From 1909 to 1913, he studied at the Moscow Theological Academy. In 1914, he taught Sacred History at the Kursk Seminary, and in 1915, he was appointed inspector of the Seminary, a post he held until the Kursk Seminary was closed by the Bolsheviks in 1919.
He was also Abbot of the Kursk Monastery of the Sign, which housed the Holy Kursk Root Icon of the Mother of God, and secretary to Bishop Theophan (Gavrilov) of Kursk. When Vladika Theophan took the Holy Kursk Root Icon to prevent the Holy Icon from falling into the hands of the Bolsheviks, he was accompanied by Archimandrite leronim. They left Kursk in September 1919, traveled through southern Russia, Constantinople, Thessaloniki, and arrived in Yugoslavia in March 1920. After arriving in Yugoslavia, the future Vladika leronim pastored various communities, and directed the monastic school at Rakovche.
From 1923 to 1933, he lived at the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem, which he administered from 1923 to 1924. In 1935, he was consecrated to the episcopate as Bishop of Detroit and Cleveland. Patriarch Alexander III of Antioch participated in Vladika leronim's consecration. Soon after, on the Feast of the Transfiguration, Patriarch Alexander III and Metropolitan Theodosius of Tyre and Sidon, a hierarch of the Patriarchate of Antioch, concelebrated with the newly consecrated Bishop leronim and Bishop loasaph (Skorodoumoff, later Archbishop of Buenos Aires and Argentina), a hierarch of the Church Abroad. After the reunification of the Russian Church Abroad and the North American Metropolia in 1935, he was appointed to rule the Diocese of Montreal and Canada, a post he held from 1936 to 1946.
In late 1945, Vladika leronim traveled to Geneva, Switzerland, at the invitation of Metropolitan Anastassy (Gribanovsky) to participate in the episcopal consecrations of Archimandrite Nafanail (Uvov, later Archbishop of Vienna and Austria) and Archimandrite Seraphim (Ivanov, later Archbishop of Chicago and Detroit). At the Great Bishops Council of the North American Metropolitan District of the Russian Church Abroad in May of 1946, Vladika leronim was appointed as the representative of the North American Metropolitan District to the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Abroad for a term of one year. In November of 1946, Vladika leronim attended the infamous "Cleveland Sobor," during which the North American Metropolitan District of the Russian Church Abroad once again seceded from the Church Abroad. Vladika leronim, along with Archbishop Vitaly (Maximenko), Archbishop Tikhon (Troitsky), and Archbishop loasaph (Skorodoumov), voted against the resolution to secede, maintaining their faithfulness to Metropolitan Anastassy (Gribanovsky) and the Russian Church Abroad. After the North American Metropolia seceded from the Russian Church Abroad in 1946 Vladika leronim was elevated to Archbishop and appointed to head the Church Abroad's Diocese of Detroit and Flint, a Diocese left with only four parishes after the 1946 schism of the North American Metropolia. In 1953, he was awarded the right to wear the diamond cross on his klobuk in recognition of his correct canonical path.
Vladika leronim reposed in 1957; at that time, his small Diocese was joined to the Diocese of Chicago and Cleveland, ruled by Archbishop Gregory (Borishkevitch). Memory Eternal!
- - 50-ti letiye Arkhiereishago Sluzheniya
Visokopreosvyashchennieshago Mitropolita Anastasiya, 1906-1956
A History of the Russian Church Abroad, 1917-1971
(Ivanov), Archbishop Seraphim
(Maximenko), Archbishop Vitaly
Seide, Father Georg